Is Styrofoam Toxic to Cats? Everything You Need To Know

As a cat owner, it’s natural to worry about the safety of your feline friend. You may have come across concerns regarding the toxicity of styrofoam and wonder whether it poses any dangers to cats. In this blog post, we’ll explore the question – is styrofoam toxic to cats?

What is Styrofoam?

Styrofoam is a type of expanded polystyrene foam (EPS) that’s widely used in packing materials, disposable plates, cups and food containers. It’s known for its light weight, low cost and insulating properties.

Why is Styrofoam Toxic to Cats?

While styrofoam isn’t inherently toxic, it can be dangerous if ingested by cats. This is because polystyrene foam isn’t easily digestible or biodegradable so if cats eat it accidentally while playing with packing peanuts or chewing on disposable plates they can suffer from serious health consequences.

The main cause for concern when it comes to polystyrene ingestion in cats is gastrointestinal obstruction which happens when non-food items block or partially block their digestive tract leading to vomiting, diarrhea and lethargy. If left untreated this condition can progress into more severe complications like dehydration or sepsis which may even prove fatal.

What Should Cat Owners Do?

If you suspect that your cat has ingested styrofoam then contact your vet immediately as time plays an important role in managing cases of ingestion-related illnesses in pets. The faster you seek help for your feline companion the better chances they have at making a full recovery without any long-term consequences.

As prevention is always better than cure, here are some tips on how you can protect your cat from coming into contact with styrofoam:

1) Store all packaging materials containing EPS out of reach from curious kitties who might mistake them as toys.
2) Use ceramic dishes instead of disposable ones made out of polystyrene foam.
3) Opt for eco-friendly alternatives like paper or bamboo plates.


In conclusion, while styrofoam isn’t toxic to cats in the traditional sense of the word, it can cause serious health complications if ingested. As a responsible pet owner, it’s important to keep your feline friends safe from such hazards by taking necessary precautions and seeking medical attention immediately if needed.